Airheads gums is a well-known chewy candy that is both sweet and salty. Like Mike and Ikes, Airhead candies are popular sweet snacks at birthday parties, gatherings, and holidays like Halloween. They can also be found in convenience stores. It comes in a variety of flavors and styles. For example, there are sour Airheads in addition to Airhead bars and xtremes.
Each one has a unique blend of ingredients that enhances the flavor and distinguishes it from the others. Unfortunately, many dog owners are unsure whether they can give their pets Airhead candies as a reward.
Large amounts of sweet, high-fat confectionery can cause pancreatitis in dogs and cats, which can be fatal digestive problems. It may not appear for two to four days after the pet consumes the candy, so you may be unaware that they have consumed a poisonous substance, and you could wave your dog goodbye from overconsumption.
In our guide, you can find out can dogs eat Airheads and other candies. By the end, you’ll see which other candies are suitable and which are toxic to dogs.
You’ll find out the best ways to maintain your dog’s health and which is a safer dog treat than Airhead candies. (Read Can Chickens Eat Cracked Corn)
Can Dogs Have Airheads Candy?
Dogs can eat airheads as a rare, occasional treat if you feed them less than 10 grams.
Airheads should not be fed to your dog since they contain sugar, which is deadly to dogs, especially diabetic dogs.
If you must choose between feeding your dog airhead bubble gum or airhead sweets, choose the candies because they are considerably safer for your dog than the airhead gums.
It would help if you avoid Airhead gums as they include a variety of that is harmful to your dog. For example, Xylitol, present in Airhead bubble gums, is harmful to dogs.
Besides the Airhead gum, there is a limit to how much sugar your pet can consume.
It’s also worth noting that sugar is the primary ingredient in airheads.
Sugar is known by many different names. You should be aware of the following:
- Corn syrup
- High fructose corn syrup
All of these sugar varieties can be found in airhead candies.
It’s unwanted to remember that too much sugar from airheads might cause health problems in dogs.
- Dental problems
- Blood sugar issues
- Weight gain
- Liver failure
Fortunately, Airheads are free of allergens such as tree nuts or peanuts., yet this doesn’t mean your dogs are safe to keep eating Airheads.
In addition to giving your dogs Airheads and finding a health problem because of sugar, some dogs are allergic to wheat. (Read Can Goats Eat Zucchini)
Again, if this is your dog, you’ll find that Airheads might not be the right sweet treat for your dog as they contain too much wheat and sugar and are full of artificial flavors.
Airheads contain the following wheat ingredients:
- Wheat flour
- Corn starch
- Food starch made of corn
- Potato Starch
Do Airheads Have Xylitol?
Xylitol is found in some airheads gums. Therefore, you must ensure that the airhead gum you give your dog doesn’t include Xylitol. With this, you may wonder, is Xylitol dangerous?
It is advised to avoid any Airhead Extreme Bits that contain Xylitol as Xylitol harms dogs by creating digestive issues. Besides this, it would take too many Airhead xtremes to lead to a life-threatening glucose deficit.
Sugar is harmful to dogs, but Xylitol is even more so because it is extremely poisonous to them.
Airhead xTremes, or even one more suited to a dog, isn’t a popular dog treat.
Give your dog a rawhide or a bone instead of wondering can dogs eat Airheads without too many issues.
What Happens If A Dog Eats Candy?
When deciding whether to offer your dog Airheads candies or gums, look over the ingredients to determine what effect they will have.
Sugar is already unhealthy for dogs since it causes diabetes and obesity. Still, when you add Xylitol to the mix, your dog will almost certainly die due to the Xylitol’s deadly effects.
Are Airheads Poisonous To Dogs?
Yes, dogs are poisoned by airheads if they are the candies that contain xylitol, which is toxic and makes Airheads bad for dogs. Dogs can eat Airheads without this ingredient.
If even a small amount of the hazardous material enters your dog’s bloodstream, it can cause serious illness.
Yes, dogs can eat these or other candies, but if you still want to safely feed your dog airhead candies, don’t give them over 10 grams; otherwise, you risk triggering severe digestive problems in your dog.
You should also know airhead candies (unlike airheads gums) do not contain Xylitol, making them less harmful to dogs, but too much can affect their blood sugar.
Are Lemonheads Bad For Dogs?
Lemonheads, Jolly Ranchers, and Blow Pops are just a few of the non-toxic candy for dogs. Every dog specialist would warn families that any sweets consumed in large quantities are dangerous. Sugar overdose is too much for their bodies to take, and the citric acid can be a shock to the system. (Read Do We Eat Bulls)
Here’s more information on what dogs should and shouldn’t eat:
Halloween is crucial for many candies, such as Airheads and other sugary products, to gain exposure.
Many snacks and candy, which are unsurprising, are toxic for dogs to eat.
Sugary items are generally largely safe for dogs to eat in small amounts and do not pose a health risk. However, overeating in larger quantities might cause vomiting and diarrhea.
In less than 10 grams, candy corn, Skittles, sour candy, Starburst, Smarties, Blow Pops, and Jolly Ranchers are safe for dogs.
According to experts, milk chocolate is safe in small quantities but not in greater amounts; chocolate can induce vomiting and diarrhea yet consuming too much of it can become a dangerous health threat, especially in small dogs.
Over 10 grams of the following are harmful to your dog:
- Almond Joys
- Kit Kats
- Tootsie Rolls
- Dark chocolate
- Butterfingers and Milky Ways
Bubble gum (mostly xylitol-containing), dark chocolate, and raisins are all unsafe in any quantity.
Chocolate is hazardous to dogs, and dark chocolate is even more so because of the higher cacao content. Other considerations include the amount of food consumed and the dog’s size.
Hyperactivity, tremors, an elevated heart rate, and seizures are all signs of chocolate toxicity. But, in large enough quantities, it can be lethal. (Learn How Long Should I Keep My Dog Off New Sod)
Chocolate toxicity symptoms in pets might take hours or even days after dogs eat the offending foods. It’s usually too late by the time a pet becomes visibly ill.
Call a veterinarian or animal poison control if your pet eats dark chocolate, raisins, or macadamia nuts.